West Horndon was once an anciant parish in Bunstable hundred of Essex, grouped into the Billericay poor law union (to relieve poverty) and rural sanitary district. It became part of the Billericay local government district in 1894. In 1934 the parish was abolished when it became part of the Brentwood Urban District.
The parish which was abolished in 1934 was an elongated area stretching north/south in common with neighbouring parishes. East Horndon was a separate parish to the east and the next parish to the west was Little Warley. The population of West Horndon in 1931 was 147
Fast forward to 2003 when the civil parish formed, with significantly different boundaries, perpendicular to the former parish, stretching east and west to incorporate territory formerly part of the parishes of Childerditch, East Horndon, Little Warley and West Horndon. In each of these former parishes the inner part is now part of West Horndon and the northern and southern extremities (and eastern part for Dunton) is outside the parish.
The present day Parish Council is run by a group of extremely enthusiastic local volunteers, making every effort to ensure the best standards are kept for the village and local community.
Chairman, Mr Colin Foan
Address: WHPC, c/o 124 Boyce Road, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex, SS17 8RJ